Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
Apr 27th, 2024, 4:08 pm
‘The Lord Of The Rings’ Trilogy Returns To Theaters In Extended 4K UHD

Peter Jackson’s Oscar-winning The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition trilogy is returning to theaters in gloriously remastered 4K UHD this summer. Warner Bros. Discovery is rereleasing the films with Fathom Events, at certain AMC, Regal, and Cinemark Theaters around North America.

The Fellowship of the Rings, the 2001 film that launched the adaptation franchise, will screen on Saturday, June 8th. Then on Sunday, June 9th, comes the sequel The Two Towers. The final chapter Return of the King screens Monday June 10th.

The trilogy re-release comes ahead of this year’s Christmas season theatrical release of the anime film The Lord of the Rings: The War Of The Rohirrim. The anime will be considered canonical within Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit trilogy, along with the ongoing Amazon Prime live-action series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.

src: https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes ... 4480f16e79
Apr 27th, 2024, 4:08 pm

Twitter @HgwrtzExprss
Join Mobilism Discord server to get instant updates on contests: https://discord.gg/JqD2wAWSGw

Apr 27th, 2024, 4:41 pm

It’s Cattenberg!

Check out the moggie that thinks it’s a cake
By Meg Byrom
APRIL 27, 2024

BEING two-faced may be an insult to some, but for one moggy it’s been the ticket to social media stardom.

British Shorthair Domiino’s chequered appearance has fascinated feline fans around the world.

Her two-toned fur and different coloured eyes, the result of a genetic quirk, have been likened to the pattern of a battenberg cake.

Domiino’s distinctive features have led some of her 60,000 Instagram followers to speculate that photos and videos of her are created using artificial intelligence.

But owner Jocelyn Antonio, 57, insists the grey and ginger look is the reason she adopted the two-year-old cat. ‘They don’t believe it is her real colour, and they think I must have painted her fur,’ Jocelyn says.

She found Domiino when she was advertised by a cattery in Belgium. A rare chimera cat, her markings were created when two separate embryos fused, giving the pet two sets of DNA. In addition to her wide Instagram fanbase, Domiino has gained 1.8million likes on TikTok with Jocelyn’s other cats at their Netherlands home.
Apr 27th, 2024, 4:41 pm
Apr 27th, 2024, 4:46 pm

I sometimes get REALLY DEPRESSED reviewing the news these days.
It's always about a global pandemic threatening life as we know it,
protests around the world, stupid politicians, natural disasters,
or some other really bad story.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Welcome to The mobi weekly news magazine
IN OTHER NEWS
SATURDAY APRIL 27

What is it?
Here is your chance to become an "ACE REPORTER" for our weekly news magazine.
It is your job to fine weird, funny or "good feel" stories from around the world and share them with our readers in our weekly magazine

How do you play?
Just post a story that you have come across that made you smile, laugh, feel good...
BUT NOTHING DEPRESSING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EXAMPLE POST
Naked sunbather chases wild boar through park after it steals his laptop bag
A naked sunbather was seen chasing wild boar through a park after it stole his laptop bag.
Amusing photographs from Germany show the man running after the animal to try and claim the plastic bag back.
But the cheeky boar and its two piglets appear to be too quick for the sunbather, who can't keep up with their speedy little trotters.
As the incident unfolds, groups of friends and family sat on the grass watch on and laugh.
Heads are seen turning in surprise and amusement in the hilarious photographs.
The incident happened at Teufelssee Lake - a bathing spot in the Grunwell Forest in Berlin, Germany.

Rules:
Each Edition of IN OTHER NEWS will be open for 7 days...
You can post as many stories as you like, but you will only get paid for One Story in any 24 hour period
So in other words, you can only earn WRZ$ once a day.
Each news day will start when I post announcing it
OR at:
9:00 AM CHICAGO TIME (UTC -5)
3:00 PM GMT (UTC -0)

on those days I space out and forget to post or can't due to Real Life :lol:
Stories may be accompanied with images - but No big images, please! 800x800 pixels wide maximum
Videos are allowed, but please keep them short, and post a short summary for those that don't like to click on videos
No Duplicate stories - Where a post has been edited resulting in duplicates, then the last one in time gets disallowed.
And please limit this to reasonably family friendly stories :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reward:
Each news story posted that I feel is acceptable (must be a real story, too few words or simply a headline are not considered acceptable) will earn you 50 WRZ$
If you post multiple stories on any given day, you will only earn 50 WRZ$ for the first story of the Day
All payments will be made at THE END of the weekly news cycle.
Special Bonus - Each week I will award "The Pulitzer Prize" for the best story of the week
The weekly winner of the "The Pulitzer Prize" will receive a 100 WRZ$ bonus
It's just my personal opinion, so my judgement is final

So help bring GOOD news to the members of mobi, and join our reporting team...

IN OTHER NEWS

Apr 27th, 2024, 4:46 pm

Twitter: Fatima99@fatima99_mobi
Apr 27th, 2024, 4:51 pm
And now for the pinchline: competition crowns world’s funniest crab joke

How did the crab get out of prison? And why did the crab get bad grades?

The answers to these conundrums and other clawsome jokes were among the competitors for the inaugural World’s Funniest Crab Joke competition, held by the Crab Museum in Margate to celebrate International Crab Day.

The winning gag, submitted by an anonymous joker, was: “Why did the crab cross the road? It didn’t. It used the sidewalk.”

An expert panel of judges, including the comedians Harry Hill, Rose Matafeo, Sally Phillips and Phil Wang, as well as children from Ramsgate Arts primary school, scored their favourite jokes before the totals were tallied and a winner crowned.

The only rules of the contest were that the jokes should be kept PG, and that lobsters could be mentioned in the setup of the joke, but not the “pinchline”.

Organisers said that, although most of the 700 submissions did abide by the rules, several jokes “were disqualified for scientific inaccuracy, and rather a lot for lewdness”.

In an unexpected sideways move, the crabs themselves picked the winner from the four jokes ranked highest by the judges, with the help of some tinned fish in bait bags and rolled-up pieces of paper with the jokes written on them.

The twist on the classic road-crossing formula proved triumphant, and was followed in second by another variation on a classic: “Man walks into a restaurant with a crab under his arm and says, ‘Do you make crab cakes?’ Manager answers, ‘Yes, we do.’ ‘Good,’ says the man, ‘because it’s his birthday.’”

Third place was awarded jointly to: “Why didn’t the crab help the chicken cross the road? Because it was eaten by a pelican crossing,” and: “What format do you have to save photos of crab soup on to? Floppy bisque.”

A Crab Museum spokesperson said the organisers hoped the contest might inspire people into environmental activism: “The quality and quantity of jokes this year has been astounding. We’ve been pinching ourselves since the submissions closed! That said, laughing at jokes, much like learning about crabs, can be a powerful tool to help us reassess our relationship with our environment. You’d be surprised how quickly you can go from chuckling at crab gags to letting down SUV tires. Whilst we may not have made this clear to our judges, it is in this spirit that the World’s Funniest Crab Joke competition has been organised.”

The museum, which opened in 2021 and claims to be “Europe’s first and only museum dedicated to the decapod”, aims to raise awareness of the often unheralded but incredibly diverse world of crabs.

And now for the pinchline: competition crowns world’s funniest crab joke

How did the crab get out of prison? And why did the crab get bad grades?

The answers to these conundrums and other clawsome jokes were among the competitors for the inaugural World’s Funniest Crab Joke competition, held by the Crab Museum in Margate to celebrate International Crab Day.

The winning gag, submitted by an anonymous joker, was: “Why did the crab cross the road? It didn’t. It used the sidewalk.”

An expert panel of judges, including the comedians Harry Hill, Rose Matafeo, Sally Phillips and Phil Wang, as well as children from Ramsgate Arts primary school, scored their favourite jokes before the totals were tallied and a winner crowned.

The only rules of the contest were that the jokes should be kept PG, and that lobsters could be mentioned in the setup of the joke, but not the “pinchline”.

Organisers said that, although most of the 700 submissions did abide by the rules, several jokes “were disqualified for scientific inaccuracy, and rather a lot for lewdness”.

In an unexpected sideways move, the crabs themselves picked the winner from the four jokes ranked highest by the judges, with the help of some tinned fish in bait bags and rolled-up pieces of paper with the jokes written on them.

The twist on the classic road-crossing formula proved triumphant, and was followed in second by another variation on a classic: “Man walks into a restaurant with a crab under his arm and says, ‘Do you make crab cakes?’ Manager answers, ‘Yes, we do.’ ‘Good,’ says the man, ‘because it’s his birthday.’”

Third place was awarded jointly to: “Why didn’t the crab help the chicken cross the road? Because it was eaten by a pelican crossing,” and: “What format do you have to save photos of crab soup on to? Floppy bisque.”

A Crab Museum spokesperson said the organisers hoped the contest might inspire people into environmental activism: “The quality and quantity of jokes this year has been astounding. We’ve been pinching ourselves since the submissions closed! That said, laughing at jokes, much like learning about crabs, can be a powerful tool to help us reassess our relationship with our environment. You’d be surprised how quickly you can go from chuckling at crab gags to letting down SUV tires. Whilst we may not have made this clear to our judges, it is in this spirit that the World’s Funniest Crab Joke competition has been organised.”

The museum, which opened in 2021 and claims to be “Europe’s first and only museum dedicated to the decapod”, aims to raise awareness of the often unheralded but incredibly diverse world of crabs.

“Crabs can teach us about biology, climate change, evolutionary history and much much more. But, with the right frame of mind, they can also teach us about ourselves,” said a spokesperson for the museum, which was founded by Bertie Suesat-Williams, his brother Ned Suesat-Williams and Chase Coley.

“This is why we created Crab Museum, to roll science, humour and philosophy into a unique and satisfyingly baffling day out.”

The museum’s award-winning social media presence was called “radical and unhinged”

The full shortlist of crab jokes

What do you call a red crab piggybacking another red crab all around the town? A double-decapod.

A horseshoe crab walks into a bar. “Why the ventral face?” the bartender asks. The crab replies: “Mind your own business and please tip a pint of lager and a packet of crisps on to the pub carpet.”

How did the crab get out of prison? It used its escape claws.

Why didn’t the crab help the chicken cross the road? Because it was eaten by a pelican crossing.

What did the sea urchin say to the crab? Please sir, can I have some claw?

What format do you have to save photos of crab soup on to? Floppy bisque.

A man walks into a restaurant with a crab under his arm and says: “Do you make crab cakes?” The manager answers: “Yes, we do.” “Good,” says the man, “because it’s his birthday.”

How do barnacles get around? A taxi crab.

Why did the crab cross the road? It didn’t. It used the sidewalk.

Why did the crab get bad grades? Because it was below C level.
Apr 27th, 2024, 4:51 pm

Twitter: Fatima99@fatima99_mobi
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:06 pm
Crayola is reuniting adults with their childhood artwork and it's surprisingly moving

Anyone who has spent time around children knows that kids are naturally creative. Unfortunately, the free artistic expression we enjoy when we're young often gets squashed by self-consciousness, comparison or unrealistic expectations somewhere along the way, which is why we all need reminders that creativity can—and should—be carried into adulthood.

There's nothing more iconically symbolic of childhood art than a crayon, so it's fitting that the folks at Crayola would be the ones to provide this reminder—and in the sweetest way.

Forty years ago, Crayola began collecting the artwork kids made as part of a long-term Crayola art program. The artwork was showcased in museums and galleries, then archived in a time capsule of childhood creativity, becoming the largest collection of children's artwork in the world.

Now, those 1,000 unique pieces of art are being returned to their creators, and the grown-up reunions with their childhood creations is genuinely heartwarming.

For instance, as a kindergartener, Caleb drew a picture called “The Happy Doctor” as a part of the Dream Makers program. Now he actually is a doctor (though not quite as colorful as he envisioned in kindergarten.) Talk about a full-circle moment.

For some people, being reunited with their art has been a surprisingly emotional experience. Creativity is often a shared endeavor, and some of these now-adults have fond memories of working on their creations with their parents. And seeing how much they've grown and changed since they made their artwork touches them in a profound way.

Crayola's "Stay Creative" video highlights three of the adults seeing their art for the first time in decades. What's even better is that all of them are parents themselves now, passing the appreciation of creativity down to their own kids.

Watch the moving reunions:

People are loving to see it:

"WOW! Legit colorful memories. Love it," wrote one commenter.

"Marvelous! Who doesn't remember getting a new box of crayons!! Creativity in a single box...love it and love you," wrote another.

"Such a beautiful story. Going to go hug my kids," shared another.

Of course, decades later, it's not always easy to find the original creators, especially since people often change names in adulthood. That's where the rest of us come in. Crayola will be releasing artwork images on its social channels in the hopes that the public can help reunite 50 additional pieces of artwork with their creators this year.

This is just the first wave of art being returned, with the ultimate goal being the return of all 1,000 pieces of art remaining in its archives.

Crayola hopes the art reunions will prompt conversations about creativity between parents and kids and spark more creative moments at home.

"These films capture just a few of the stories we've encountered that bring to life the enduring value of childhood creativity. They also illustrate the pivotal role parents have in helping their children develop lifelong creative mindsets essential for whatever path they take in life," said Victoria Lozano, EVP Marketing at Crayola. "Through the Campaign for Creativity, Crayola not only hopes to encourage and help facilitate this dialogue, but also assist in providing the right creative resources and inspiration parents need to help all children reach their full potential."

You can find out more about Crayola's Campaign for Creativity Here.
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:06 pm

Apr 27th, 2024, 5:23 pm
Blow-up doll found abandoned by shocked dog walker

A dog owner who thought she'd 'come across a murder scene' while walking her pet was left bemused when she realised what she had actually stumbled upon.

Gina Penman Dearing, from Rodbourne, was on a dog walk over the back of Broome Manor at lunchtime on Tuesday when the spaniel Siggy discovered something had been discarded near the area known locally as Ladder Lane.

She initially thought something horrendous had happened, but soon realised that she had come across a deflated blow-up doll that had been abandoned on the muddy path.

The blow-up doll that dog Siggy sniffed-out while on a walk

Finding humour in the situation, she posted pictures of her unusual find on the Swindon Community Notice Board, and said: "Thought I'd come across a murder scene near Ladder Lane this morning."

Speaking to the Advertiser afterwards the dog owner said: "There's an old bridge that takes you to Ladder Lane (it's nickname I think) up into Wroughton. It was on a very muddy path next to the field where bikes were used.

"I could Siggy was sniffing something and thought, it was just a bag of rubbish until I got near and it took me a while to figure it out."

This is not the first time that Siggy has sniffed out a questionable object while out on a walk leading Gina to refer to her precious pooch as a 'sex pest'.

"It seems to be a pattern with my dog," she said.

'Sex pest' Siggy has a proclivity for finding naughty objects while out on walks

In August 2022, Gina was walking her two dogs Siggy and Billie when the then six-month-old Siggy discovered something that had been discarded at the back of the Churchward estate.

She returned to Gina with her new toy which was when the Vets Kitchen worker noticed exactly what was in Siggy's mouth - a rubber sex toy.

"I tried to get it off her without physically touching it but she was having a whale of a time," she said at the time.

Siggy unsure of what to make of her new discovery

Siggy ran off and then reappeared without it, much to Gina's relief.

Finding the situation amusing, Gina posted about it on Facebook after the walk.

"Thanks to whoever decided to fling this outside on the alleyway from the back of the Churchward estate my puppy enjoyed playing with it," she wrote.
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:23 pm

Apr 27th, 2024, 6:15 pm
Man Named Taylor Swift Opens Up About Sharing a Name with the Pop Star: 'I Just Shake It Off'

"I now think, that if my name is the biggest struggle I have in life, I'm doing okay," Taylor J. Swift said

Taylor J. Swift has successfully learned how to embrace his pop star-esque name.

In a conversation with Business Insider, Swift, who serves as a Director of Government Capacity at POPVOX Foundation, opened up about how sharing a name with the music superstar, 34, was at first tough to handle but has since become something easier to handle.

"As someone who works in the congressional advocacy space, where I help advocate for things like better wages, pay benefits and technology, it helps to have a name like mine because people usually remember it," he told the outlet.

"When people remember my name, they also remember the ball I'm trying to push forward, and that's what's important," Swift continued.

According to Swift, he first learned of the singer he shares a name with when he was 15 years old.

"At first, I thought, no big deal, she's a singer with a hit song or two, this won't impact me — but I was wrong. As time continued, I started to find it frustrating," he told Business Insider.

"I was just a kid trying to live my life, and I was now sharing a name with a big singer. Additionally, I had just moved back to Ohio to live with my dad, so I was the new kid at school, with the name Taylor Swift," Swift added. "To top it off, I had a Justin Bieber haircut, I had glasses, and I was on the debate team, it wasn't a fun time."

After contemplating whether he should continue to go by Taylor or TJ — an abbreviation of his first and middle name — Swift said he eventually realized, "I was given this name for a reason, and I'm going to grow, and become who I'm meant to become with it."

Swift said he now takes extra steps to make sure that he is not misidentified as the "Blank Space" singer in life.

"When I do interviews with the press, I ask them to please quote me as Taylor J. Swift, so no one confuses me as the pop singer. This way, no one wonders why Taylor Swift (without the J) is speaking on congressional modernization and oversight," he said. "I also include the 'J' on my business cards or when applying to jobs, to avoid confusion."

But, Swift said he has still caused a stir before when others thought that he was the music superstar.

"For example, just this past weekend, I booked a dinner reservation for two under the name Taylor Swift. I could tell the hostess seemed a bit disappointed when I showed up," he said. "Like normal, they joked about how I wasn't the real Taylor Swift, so I just laughed and said, 'I hear it all the time but I just shake it off.' "

"In the past, I think my name has thrown people off a bit. But, then as I engage in conversation with them, or if I'm briefing a member of Congress, or holding some sort of meeting, they see I'm serious about the work we're doing," Swift told Business Insider.

"I very much take pride in the work that we do, and after a minute or two, people see how dedicated I am to the cause we're working on and my name doesn't take away from that," he continued.

Overall, Swift noted that there are bigger problems in the world, and having the same name as one of the biggest stars in the world isn't the worst thing possible.

"I now think, that if my name is the biggest struggle I have in life, I'm doing okay. It feels trivial to believe otherwise," he explained.

Apr 27th, 2024, 6:15 pm

Apr 27th, 2024, 6:27 pm
Over 100 arrested during protests at Northeastern University

Similar demonstrations have been going on at Emerson, Harvard MIT and Tufts, as well as other universities across the country.

Police and protesters face each other at a pro-Palestinian encampment at Northeastern University on Saturday, April 27, 2024.

https://www.nbcboston.com/on-air/as-see ... s/3351913/

Around 100 people have been arrested as police break up the pro-Palestinian encampments at Northeastern University on Saturday morning.

Students had been preparing for a raid overnight as Police gathered inside Shillman Hall earlier this morning, then came out and started to spread out around the centennial common, telling protesters to go home. But their chants just keep getting louder.

Moving trucks arrived on scene to assist the police.

Northeastern University has called the demonstration a violation of the student code of conduct, but many students have said they are willing to face discipline from the school as they call for a ceasefire in Gaza and divesting from companies with ties to Israel.

”The quads on Northeastern’s Boston campus are reserved by the division of Student Life for scheduled university events. Students currently demonstrating on Centennial Quad do not have authorization and are in violation of the Code of Student Conduct. Those who are not affiliated with Northeastern are trespassing. The university will take action accordingly.” said the University administration.

The anti-war protest was peaceful and organized by students, said Northeastern sophomore Alina Caudle. She said the vast majority of people participating were students and decried the university for claiming otherwise and supporting the arrest of students.

"It shouldn't be a partisan issue, it should be simple. We don't want innocent lives to be lost. We don't want children to be killed and buried in mass graves," she said.

Mass State Police said 102 people were arrested and face trespassing and disorderly conduct charges and are being transported to the Suffolk County House of Correction to be booked and processed.

Northeastern University released a statement on Saturday morning through social media saying approximately 100 people had been detained and the ones without a university ID were arrested.

Police have previously ordered anyone without a school ID to leave the protest.
Apr 27th, 2024, 6:27 pm
Apr 27th, 2024, 6:30 pm
English Man Fakes Own Kidnapping in Thailand to Extort Money from His Family and Keep Partying
020224*

A 48-year-old English man vacationing in Pattaya, Thailand, ran out of money and tried extorting more from his family back home by having his mates pose as his kidnappers.

Time and money fly when you’re having fun, and Ian Robbie Day, a 48-year-old man from Portsmouth, England, was having the time of his life in Thailand’s party capital of Pattaya. After repeatedly prolonging his exotic vacation and asking his family back home to send him more money, Ian found himself with no more money to burn on booze, drugs, and other local pleasures. His family refused to fund his non-stop partying anymore, so he was forced to make a decision – either end his Thai vacation and return home, or find a way to get his hands on more money. It was a no-brainer, so he convinced his mates to beat him up and pose as masked gangsters, so he could fake his kidnapping and ask his family for ransom money…

Photo: Лечение наркомании/Pixabay

Ian convinced his partying friends to punch him in the face and leave him bruised up so that the photos he sent his family back home appeared genuine. Some of his friends also posed as the kidnappers in the pics, to make the kidnapping story believable. It worked, only when the man’s family saw the photos, they panicked and notified the police about his kidnapping.

The 48-year-old man probably never stopped to think that Interpol would get involved in his kidnapping case, but it did, and the international police organization managed to quickly track him down to a hotel in Pattaya and put together a strike team. Only when they breached his room door, instead of a bound, defenseless victim, they found a drunk, drugged-up tourist partying with his would-be kidnappers.

“The guy chatted in iMessage and FaceTime with his relatives in the UK,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sorasak Saengcha told journalists. “He sent pictures of himself being attacked, and then after with injuries, he took pictures of himself looking like he had been beaten up. His friends would punch him and give him bruises on his face, then he would video call his family on FaceTime. He asked his three friends to act like they were kidnappers holding him hostage. He made them wear masks in the videos and act like gangsters.

“When his family wouldn’t support him anymore, he staged the kidnap, that was the reason he did that,” Saengcha added. “His family was worried and they contacted the police in the UK and Interpol was informed. Interpol contacted Thai police and we traced the man. But when we arrived they were having a party.”

When the police found Day on January 26, he was reportedly in the middle of a two-day drug binge with three other foreigners. All party animals were arrested on charges of possessing unauthorized firearms and ammunition, possession of category one drugs, and having expired visas. They will most likely be deported.
Apr 27th, 2024, 6:30 pm
Apr 27th, 2024, 7:26 pm
Active volcano in Antarctica spews tiny crystals of gold worth $6,000 a day

It sounds like a dream, but it's true in Antarctica, gold rains from the sky. Tucked in among the glaciers, fiery Mount Erebus is the southernmost active volcano on Earth, providing a bit of heat amid the frozen landscape.

The frozen continent features 138 volcanoes, according to a 2017 study, with around nine of them reported as active. With a summit elevation of 12,448 feet (3,794 meters), Mount Erebus is the most well-known.

Erebus is one of three volcanoes that form Ross Island, and it's said that it was erupting when it was discovered in 1841 during the voyage of Captain James Clark Ross, who carried out important magnetic surveys in the Arctic and Antarctic and discovered the Ross Sea and the Victoria Land region of Antarctica. 'HMS Erebus' was the name of one of his ships.

Scientists still observe the volcano through the Mount Erebus Volcano Observatory and conduct field campaigns to look for extreme life forms. The largest Antarctic settlement-McMurdo Station, operated by the United States-is located about 25 south of Mount Erebus and is within sight of the volcano.

Satellite images of Mount Erebus from 2013. (Photo credit: NASA)

Satellite images of Mount Erebus from 2013 show the lava lake at its center. (Photo credit: NASA)

Satellite images of the volcano reveal a lava lake that's been bubbling since at least 1972, according to IFL Science.

The volcano regularly pumps out plumes of gas and steam and has been known to eject boulders of partially molten rock known as "volcanic bombs."

While volcanic bombs are exciting, it's the bursts of gas spraying tiny crystals of metallic gold that surprise scientists, who estimate the volcano spews around 80 grams of gold a day -- that's worth around $6,000.

The gold has been found hundreds of miles away from Mount Erebus. Antarctic researchers have detected traces of the gold dust in ambient air up to 621 miles away from the volcano.
Apr 27th, 2024, 7:26 pm

Apr 28th, 2024, 12:04 am
Masterpieces Saved from Notre Dame Fire Now Restored and Back on View: It’s ‘Miraculous’

La Nativité, Jérôme Francken, 1585 © DRAC Île de France –Permission from Cultival Agency Paris, France (cropped)

A collection of great historical artworks, saved from the fires of Notre-Dame, are set to be exhibited as they haven’t been for over 160 years as the famous cathedral nears its reopening this December.

Known as the Mays of Notre-Dame, they are 76 monumental religious works mostly from the 17th century, 13 of which were on display in the cathedral during the fire.

The double irony is that the reason they haven’t been exhibited together in so long is because the Notre-Dame’s famous architectural custodian Eugene Viollet-le-Duc, didn’t like them, and had them removed from their place between the central columns of the transept and placed in the side chapels either side of the nave.

This location was one of the last to suffer from the blaze, meaning that Viollet-le-Duc’s displeasure was their salvation.

To commemorate the Virgin Mary, every May from 1630 to 1707 the Goldsmith’s Guild in Paris would present a monumental religious scene to honor the saint—painted by some of the best artists of the age, giving this collection of paintings the nickname “the Mays of Notre-Dame.”

Painted 10 feet by 8 inches wide and 8 feet by 6 inches tall, they were uniform in size and style, with the paintings borrowing scenes from Greece, the Bible, and Rome to tell religious stories.

Restoration of one of the Mays of Notre Dame © DRAC Île de France11 – permission of Cultival Agency Paris (cropped)

On that fateful April day in 2019, treasures of all kinds were saved, including a wooden chest containing the 27-meter-long chancel rug of the cathedral, used last for the precession of Napoleon the Third’s wedding.

After the fires had gone out, first responders found the 13 ‘Mays’ still hanging in the side chapels. apart from some water damage, they were unscathed.

“We began removing them the day after the fire and decided they would all be restored. The exhibition is a chance to see them all in one place, in the order they were painted, which is how they would have been originally displayed. What you see now is how they would have looked the day they were completed,” said Emmanuel Pénicaut, director of Mobilier National collections, the association appointed by the French government to restore the works.

The Mays of Notre Dame seen in cathedral transept in 1780 © Société des amis de Notre-Dame de Paris / Cl. Bénédicte Colly

Of the 76 Mays that were painted, 52 are known to the art world. Most are in churches in France, while 7 reside in private collections in the UK.

Deciding to restore the paintings means that master painters who specialized in touching up damaged or antique works will be allowing visitors to Paris to see how this fierce contest of artistic and religious patronage unfolded over time.

The exhibition features another nine religious paintings saved from the fire, and 14 tapestries that were part of the Notre-Dame’s chancel, but which now reside in Strasbourg. The treasures of Notre Dame will be on display at the Mobilier National from 24 April to 21 July.
Apr 28th, 2024, 12:04 am
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:01 am
The clues to why young people are ageing faster than they should: These factors have all been linked to higher cancer rates - so are you at risk?

'Accelerated ageing' and rising cancer rates have been attributed to a mix of genetics, lifestyle, diet and environmental factors. But new data suggests specific lifestyle choices may be to blame

By Jo Macfarlane

It's a complaint which has gone viral on social media: Generation Z, it is claimed, are 'ageing like milk'. In posts viewed millions of times on video-sharing app TikTok, the eye-catching theory is that a generation of young adults, all under the age of 27, already look older than the generation before them, Millennials (born between 1981 and 1996).

One of the first to notice was influencer Jordan Howlett who, aged just 26, confessed to his 12 million followers that he was routinely mistaken for his mother's older brother.

'We live in a time when Millennials look way younger for their age, while Gen Z looks older,' he said in a TikTok video. 'I'm Gen Z and no one ever believes me. It is mainly because of the stress.'

It sounds, admittedly, like vanity. But last week, scientists appeared to suggest there may be at least some truth in what has, until now, been an entertaining theory.

Influencer Jordan Howlett, aged just 26, confessed to his 12 million followers that he was routinely mistaken for his mother's older brother

Research published at an international cancer conference revealed that young people diagnosed with certain types of cancer – especially lung, gastrointestinal and uterine cancers – were more likely to have evidence of what the researchers described as 'accelerated ageing'.

Put simply, the age of the cells in their bodies – known as their biological age – was significantly greater than their actual age.

This is an emerging area of science and reflects wear and tear on the body from things such as lifestyle, diet, environment and stress.

Intriguingly, the US researchers involved in the study said there was 'strong evidence' that the risk of accelerated ageing, and therefore of developing cancer, increased with each successive generation born after 1965.

And that may mean Gen Z – those born between 1997 and 2012 who are becoming young adults today – are at a far greater risk of developing potentially deadly diseases such as cancer at a much earlier stage than their parents or grandparents.

It raises a fascinating question: is it possible that what is being observed on TikTok is the thin end of the wedge? Could Gen Z be ageing faster than previous generations?

Professor Ilaria Bellantuono, co-director of the Healthy Lifespan Institute at the University of Sheffield, is one of many who believe it's at least plausible.

'The easiest answer is that, at the moment, we don't know enough to say for certain that younger generations are ageing faster or why,' she says. 'That research hasn't been done. But it's not impossible. We are seeing more disease in younger people, the kinds of diseases we might normally expect to be developing in older adults.

'And biological ageing is a risk factor for those diseases. In the same way that smokers increase their risk of lung cancer, so too does accelerated ageing increase the risk of developing more multiple long-term chronic conditions.'

Certainly, in terms of cancer, diagnoses were once rarely seen in the under-50s. But today, scientists have become troubled by a growing epidemic of early-onset tumours in populations around the world. The Princess of Wales, who revealed her own diagnosis of cancer at the age of 42, is one of them.

The statistics are stark: between the early 1990s and 2018, cancer among 25 to 49-year-olds in the UK increased by 22 per cent – a bigger shift than any other age group, and more than twice the nine per cent increase in over-75s.

What has triggered this remains unclear. It has been attributed to a complex interaction between genetics, lifestyle, diet and environmental factors.

But the latest study from the US adds compelling further detail.

The researchers, from the Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis, used data from the UK Biobank – which contains medical and genetic information for half a million UK adults – and looked at measurements in the blood associated with biological age, including proteins produced by the liver and the size of red blood cells.

Those with the most significant biological ageing had twice the risk of early-onset lung cancer, were more than 60 per cent more likely to develop a gastrointestinal tumour and had an 80 per cent higher risk of uterine cancer. A similar pattern was found with bowel cancer by University of Bristol researchers last year. They found, for every extra year of biological age over actual age, the risk of bowel cancer increased by 12 per cent.

The youngest participants in the US study were 37, but evidence suggests this ageing phenomenon is only worsening with time.

An investigation led by epidemiologist Dr Shuji Ogino, from Harvard University, noted cancer rates have been steadily rising since the mid-20th Century. 'Since 1950, we found that each successive generation has a higher risk of early-onset cancer,' he said.

In young, healthy people, cells can usually repair and renew themselves. But as they age – either naturally or prematurely – this process can become dysfunctional.

Cells can accumulate damage which they are unable to repair, and turn into 'zombie cells' which can drive inflammation and the development of disease. It's not just cancer this causes.

NHS data analysed by the MoS reveals a 38 per cent rise in the number of under-40s treated for heart attacks in a decade, from 1,730 in 2012/13 to 2,396 in 2022/23. The biggest rise – 89 per cent - was in 20–24-year-olds.

It's similar for type 2 diabetes. The latest National Diabetes Audit, published in December, shows that the numbers being diagnosed rose 11.6 per cent between 2017 and 2022. But it's worse in the young. In under-40s the rise is 18.7 per cent, and 21 per cent in 19 to 25-year-olds.

Astonishingly, the number of under-12s with the chronic condition has rocketed 66 per cent in four years (although the numbers are still small, from 90 to 150). Research has found accelerated ageing plays a role in the development of type 2 diabetes. In one study, adults with the condition had a biological age 12 years higher than adults without the condition.

Professor Naveed Sattar, an expert in type 2 diabetes at the University of Glasgow, said: 'People who develop diabetes under 40 lose 15 to 16 years of life expectancy – far more than those diagnosed later, at around six years.

'The younger you are when diagnosed, the greater your risk of diabetes-related complications such as cardiovascular disease, kidney problems and heart failure.'

There are other developments gaining momentum with every new generation. Puberty has been getting earlier, particularly in girls, by three months every decade. The average age for a girl is 11 today, more than a year earlier than 40 years ago. That has harmful effects, experts say.

It is linked to a higher risk of depression, anxiety and substance abuse, and may also increase the risk of breast or uterine cancer in adulthood. Girls who start their periods early are also more likely to be obese and suffer cardiovascular disease.

While no one really knows for sure what's driving it, there are clues. One of them is diet.

Dr Ogino points out that, in high-income countries such as the UK and US, generations born since the 1950s have been exposed to increasing amounts of processed foods – high in fat, sugar and salt, and containing artificial flavours, colours and industrial chemicals – and the latest generations have been exposed to them while still developing in the womb.

Out of 12 cancer types which are becoming more common in people under 50, eight relate to the digestive system, Dr Ogino's research found. But in Japan, where diets include more fish, vegetables and legumes, there has been no rise in these early-onset cancers.

Obesity, too – often related to a poor diet – is likely to play a major role. Defined as a BMI of over 30, it has been increasing dramatically in the last four decades.

In 1980, six per cent of men and nine per cent of women were obese – today, it's more than one quarter. It's increasingly affecting children, too. The proportion who are obese has risen from 17.5 per cent in 2006 to 23.4 per cent in 2021. And numerous studies have shown obesity can accelerate ageing in the body's cells.

It is linked with high blood pressure and high cholesterol – a factor in heart disease and strokes – and implicated in many types of cancer. It is also directly linked to type 2 diabetes. It also might be one of the factors behind earlier puberty – obesity increases the level of sex hormone oestrogen in the body, and being exposed to oestrogen for longer can, in turn, drive some breast and uterine cancers.

'It's not a surprise we're seeing more disease in younger people,' says Prof Bellantuono. 'We know more children are overweight or obese. They're more sedentary than previous generations and may be exposed to more environmental pollution and a poor diet from birth. This means people are accumulating genetic damage earlier, which accelerates biological age and drives disease. It's all connected.'

There is also evidence that successive generations of obese people may be 'pre-programming' children's genes so they are more likely to develop diseases earlier.

'How your parents lived will certainly affect your health,' says geneticist Professor Lene Juel Rasmussen, director of the Centre for Healthy Ageing at the University of Copenhagen. 'The more damaged DNA you inherit, the more damage you will carry. It might contribute to the onset of cancer five years earlier. But what will drive it further is your own lifestyle, and what you're exposed to.'

One major review of the evidence found being obese during pregnancy can cause subtle genetic alterations in children, increasing their risk of long-term health problems.

In England, the number of pregnant women who are obese has tripled in 30 years from 7.6 per cent in 1989 to 22.2 per cent in 2018. Fewer than half of pregnancies – 46.3 per cent – are now in mothers of a healthy weight.

'We have evidence in mice that if you feed a high fat diet to the mother, the offspring develop dysfunction in the organs much earlier and they have a shorter lifespan,' says Prof Bellantuono. 'It's not implausible this is happening in humans.'

But there are some problems that Gen Z can't blame their parents for. An epidemic of vaping may well be driving at least some of the premature ageing.

While it's safer than smoking, nicotine has been linked to the breakdown of collagen, a protein which keeps the skin firm and plump, which can accelerate fine lines and wrinkles forming.

It can also cause the small blood vessels to narrow, reducing the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the skin. Rates of vaping have soared – one in five teens now admit to having tried it, compared with 13.9 per cent in 2020.

A small study by researchers in Ohio also found vapers were as likely as smokers to have signs of accelerated ageing in their lungs compared with non-smokers.

The growing epidemic of mental health conditions could cause people to age faster, too. One in five 20 to 25-year-olds had a mental health disorder last year, according to NHS England.

Dr Julian Mutz, a researcher at King's College London, found people with diagnosed depression had shorter telomeres – protective caps on DNA which shorten with age, and are a measure of biological age – compared to people without mental health conditions.

'Mental health conditions seem to predispose individuals to experience accelerated ageing,' Dr Mutz said. 'That's partly driven by a poorer lifestyle – people with depression are less physically active.'

Loneliness, too, could contribute. Gen Z has been described as the 'loneliest generation' with more time spent online. Around 73 per cent say they feel alone sometimes or always.

The US Surgeon General, Dr Vivek Murthy, says persistent loneliness can be as damaging as smoking 15 cigarettes a day – and those who are socially isolated have a 32 per cent increased risk of an early death.

'If you're lonely, you may be less likely to exercise or eat well,' suggests Prof Rasmussen.

All experts agree that it comes down to looking after your health – eating well, maintaining a healthy weight, and exercise. But Prof Bellantuono is – like many other teams around the world – working on drugs which may, one day, be able to decelerate ageing.

The drugs, called senolytics, could be given like statins 'to prevent multiple conditions at the same time', she says.

'The drugs purge the body of ageing 'zombie' cells which drive damage and inflammation. If you don't give them too late, and there is still regenerative capacity in the tissues, once you kill those cells the tissue will regenerate a bit and you'll regain a bit of life.'

For Gen Z, at least, they might offer up a flicker of hope.
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:01 am
Apr 28th, 2024, 6:04 am
Ultrafast laser-powered 'magnetic RAM' is on the horizon after new discovery

Researchers have found an elemental physical interaction between light and magnetism that might lead to the next generation of computing memory.

The scientists formulated a new equation that describes the link between the amplitude of the magnetic field of light, its frequency and the energy absorption properties of a magnetic material. (Image credit: AdrianHancu via Getty Images)

Scientists have discovered a new mechanism in which a concentrated laser beam can change the magnetic state of a solid material. The finding could one day be harnessed in ultrafast computing memory, the researchers say.

The scientists formulated a new equation that describes the link between the amplitude of the magnetic field of light, its frequency and the energy absorption properties of a magnetic material. The scientists published their findings in a study on Jan. 3 in the journal Physical Review Research.

The equation is "completely new and also very elemental," study co-author Amir Capua, a physics professor at Hebrew University of Jerusalem, told Live Science.

Although the discovery builds on the field known as "magneto-optics," this represents a new paradigm because scientists didn't previously understand that the magnetic component of a rapidly oscillating light wave can control magnets, he said. The equation describes the characteristics of this interaction.

Computer memory uses miniature electromagnets that are magnetized with voltage to enable the binary states of "on" or "off" to encode data, which are read and reinterpreted by a processor as 1 or 0.

The most common computing memory, like those found in laptops or phones, comes in the form of dynamic random access memory (DRAM). This is volatile, meaning when power is switched off, all data held is lost, but it's easier to engineer, uses common materials and has low error rates — and those few errors are easy to detect and fix.

The new finding is more relevant for a technology called magnetoresistive random access memory (MRAM), which is a non-volatile memory more commonly used in spacecraft as well as military and other industrial applications, according to MRAM-info.

Interaction between a magnetic material and radiation is well established when they are in equilibrium, but less is known about this relationship when they are not in equilibrium. It's also an area th
at overlaps with the weird laws of quantum mechanics, which are being harnessed to build quantum computers.

"We've arrived at a very elementary equation describing this interaction. It lets us completely reconsider optical magnetic recording and navigate our way to a dense, energy-efficient, cost-efficient optical magnetic storage device that doesn't even exist yet," Capua said.

Previous efforts to use the magnetic component of a light beam to flip a magnetic bit in this way were not effective, Capua said. But the new equation could help researchers to successfully incorporate the mechanism, he said.

In the far future, this technology could lead to MRAM components that are faster and more efficient than today's state-of-the-art RAM units, he added.

Optical cycle times (the time for an optical electromagnetic wave to complete an oscillation, in megahertz) in the technology could be a million times faster than in conventional memory. Electrical cycle times operate on nanoscale timescales (a second is 1 billion nanoseconds) whereas typical optical beams work in picoseconds (a second is 1 trillion seconds).

It may also one day lead to quantum memory for quantum computers, in which a beam of light can fix a magnetic bit in neither 0 nor 1 but a superposition of the two states — much like how qubits work in quantum computers. Even though that's beyond the precision engineering of today, Capua said his team's findings could lead to the discovery of materials that could one day be used in such technology.

It can also make digitized memory systems more energy-efficient by giving the device more control over the strength and duration of the light beam and its effects. "The duration of the optical beam and its energy can be chosen to reduce the writing power. Obviously, when the device is idle it doesn't consume any energy since magnetic memories are nonvolatile," he said.
Apr 28th, 2024, 6:04 am
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:03 am
101-year-old WWII veteran from N.J. gets birthday wish to fly again
Source: NJ

Donald Stern got to spend his 101st birthday with a flight from the Central Jersey Airport in Hillsborough to the Statue of Liberty. The centenarian served in the Army Air Corp during World War II. Thursday, April 25 2024.
Image: Amanda Brown Murphy / NJ Advance Media

Donald Stern fulfilled his dream Thursday at Central Jersey Regional Airport, sitting in the front passenger's seat for a 40-minute flight aboard a Cessna Skyhawk that soared above the Statue of Liberty and other landmarks before returning to Manville.

Upon exiting the plane just before 12:30 p.m., Stern was guided toward a small building near the runway, where friends and family were waiting with his birthday cake.

He took a seat on the couch and gave a salute and a gentle wave, before blowing out the candles.

"Thank you," he said to the small crowd.

Glenn Sinibaldi, a retired Air Force major, piloted the flight, officials said.

Russell Stern, the younger of Donald Stern's two sons, was in the back passenger's seat for the flight. The 101-year-old's other son, Howard Stern, was waiting on the ground.

Russell Stern, 63, said his father was "mesmerized" at the sights as they gazed down at the New Jersey Turnpike, Rutgers University and the Manhattan skyline.

"He seemed comfortable and almost at home, almost like he was mesmerized and he was looking back," said Stern, who lives in Madison.

"It was good. He liked it. He was quiet during most of the trip," Russell Stern said.

Donald Stern was born in New York City on April 25, 1923, according to an overview provided by officials who organized the event. He lives at Brandywine Princeton Senior Living Community in South Brunswick.

He was 21 when he was assigned to the U.S. Army Air Corps 483rd Bombardment Group. He flew 32 combat missions in a B-17 Flying Fortress between January and April 1945, serving as a bombardier and navigator. His final combat mission was April 24, the day before his 22nd birthday.

After returning from the war, Stern received a degree in architecture from Cooper Union. He and his wife, Barbara, had two sons, settling in 1960 in the Kendall Park section of South Brunswick. She died 20 years ago.

He worked as an architect for New Jersey's division of building and construction, retiring in the late 1980s.

He was a "bureaucrat with a heart," his family said.

In retirement, he wrote a book on the 483rd Bombardment Group. He frequently discussed his World War II experiences at middle schools, high schools, senior clubs, veterans groups and other civic organizations, his family said.

"His World War II experiences as a bombardier navigator in combat has been so important to him, has been such a cornerstone of his life," said his older son, Howard Stern.

Leading up to his 101st birthday, he made a request: "To fly in a small plane again," his family said.

A ceremony was held before the plane took off. He was seated as friends and family sang happy birthday, then he was taken to the plane.

Howard Stern, 66, stood in wait for his father and the plane to return.

"He's enjoying it today," said Howard Stern, who lives in Plainsboro.

When his father emerged from the plane, the son was ready with a joke, saying, "You didn't even have to wear a parachute."

Once inside, Donald Stern made a point of counting everyone in the room to celebrate his 101st birthday. He stopped when he reached 30.

He was handed a slice of pizza.

"He's 101. He's frailer than he used to be, but Dad is an amazing guy," Howard Stern said.

"He never ceases to amaze me, how sturdy he is and how he has bounced back. The guy is stoic, even in his old age," Stern said.
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:03 am
Apr 28th, 2024, 10:47 am
Mathematicians Gave a Billiard Ball a Brain—and It Led to Something Unbelievable
How a simple game uncovered a mesmerizing world of complexity.

Mathematicians from the University of Amsterdam ran an experiment where a frictionless billiard ball was given spatial memory, meaning it never crossed its own path twice.
    After running the simulation some 200 million times, such a system revealed a pattern of immense complexity.
    While this could help scientists understand some biological functions, it’s perfect conditions and frictionless environment likely wouldn’t occur in nature.

It may not look like it, but slime molds are pretty smart — one was even a “visiting non-human scholar” at Massachusetts’ Hampshire College back in 2017. While lacking anything resembling a brain, the mold Physarum polycephalum navigates toward food sources without revisiting paths it’s already taken. In other words, the mold resembles some form of spatial memory.

This idea of spatial memory is particularly interesting to scientists at the University of Amsterdam, who ran an experiment analyzing the mathematical chaos surrounding an object that remembers the places it’s previously visited. In a new paper published last week in the journal Physical Review Letters, the researchers describe their experimental set-up as an “idealized game of billiards,’ which assumes that walls are perfectly bouncy and there are no other objects on the table other than the frictionless balls.

This shows how the spatial memory parameter eventually leads a frictionalless billiard ball to get trapped in a single point.

But in true slime mold fashion, the mathematicians altered the game by giving the ball spatial memory, meaning it could remember where it traversed and instead bounced against its previous trajectory rather than crossing its path from the past. After running some 200 million simulations using a variety of polygonal “billiard” tables, the team successfully mapped the likelihood of where a ball would eventually get tracked, which surprisingly formed intricate patterns. Zoom in on those patterns, and a particular region revealed yet even more patterns of complexity.

The fate of the ball rests on a bevy of initial conditions, including the shape of the table and its initial trajectory. Without the added parameter of spatial memory, this “idealized game of billiards” (under certain conditions) is a perfect example of mathematical chaos, where initial conditions can not necessarily, but when considering spatial memory, the conclusions have profound implications for biological research, such as Professor Slime Mold.

The concept of trapping is one that begs to be explored, also in real-life systems. For instance, we know that single-celled slime molds use self-avoiding paths. Do they also get trapped, and what happens when they do? Or do they have clever mechanisms to avoid this from happening at all? Do they use it to enhance search strategies for food?,” Mazi Jalaal, a co-author of the paper, said in a press statement. “The results would help us to better understand these biological systems, and perhaps even incorporate the lessons we learn to optimize this form of billiards with memory for use in robots.”

Of course, as one mathematician points out to New Scientist, these simulations don’t mirror biological systems, which tend to not frictionlessly glide along perfectly straight lines, but billiards with “living memory” could be a stepping stone to understanding these systems better.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... mold-math/
Apr 28th, 2024, 10:47 am