Nov 14th, 2014, 12:41 pm
I have read thru this thread and still cant find a way to download something without it being an .exe file. I have adblock installed and usually only have two download buttons. I would appreciate any additional help anyone can provide.

Thanks

merry60 wrote:As I said via PM, the exe is usually located in the button with a checked box asking you to download the filehost's "downloader", "manager", "accelerator", etc.
Nov 14th, 2014, 12:41 pm
Dec 9th, 2014, 6:41 pm
The adblock.org has a green button to download it but then I see its a exe file. Is that Okay. I am so afraid of a virus.

merry60 wrote:You cannot install software without running/executing an executable file. Make sure you are downloading the .exe from the official adblock website and you'll be fine.
Dec 9th, 2014, 6:41 pm
Dec 18th, 2014, 8:47 pm
Hey friends! There's this site http://maximumbook.org that has free books, so I registered and I tried to download a book that i couldn't find anywhere else, but then i noticed it was a .exe file, so i canceled. I'm just wondering if that site is safe. Does anyone know?
Dec 18th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Dec 27th, 2014, 4:18 pm
If unsure play it safe - get sandboxes and do all your downloads via a sandboxed browser. Copy the actual files over afterwards.
Dec 27th, 2014, 4:18 pm
Dec 28th, 2014, 4:33 pm
BetteD wrote:Hey friends! There's this site http://maximumbook.org that has free books, so I registered and I tried to download a book that i couldn't find anywhere else, but then i noticed it was a .exe file, so i canceled. I'm just wondering if that site is safe. Does anyone know?

Looking up maximumbook.org, it's a few months old, and hosted in the Ukraine. Neither of which are good signs.

Any site that forces you to download an exe is dishonest.
Many of these will turn up when you search for a new book/movie, etc. They promise to give you whatever you are searching for.
Even books that haven't been published yet.
Best case they waste your time. Worst they sucker you into buying a download that is just garbage, or even malware.

There are a few well known private torrent sites that have just about everything. Ask around and you'll find them.
A hint: one is nicknamed MAM.

For the file locker sites that like to hide their download buttons, I just use jDownloader. It can handle all the well known and a lot of obscure ones. You just paste in the URLS. If there's a captcha it will pass it to you to solve, otherwise it will find the download, get it, extract any archive and test it if you want, and you never see the site at all or get exposed to any trickery.
Dec 28th, 2014, 4:33 pm
Dec 29th, 2014, 10:40 pm
today, i went to download a book that was posted with anonym.to anonymizer links ... here's the book page: viewtopic.php?f=126&t=445264&hilit=blum

was downloading from the zippy link.

got a Google page warning anonym.to is a known attack page. It's been a few weeks since i've been on, and was wondering since I never had this problem before -- anyone else seen this? anything to worry about?

Here's the full Google report for the page: https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebro ... /file.html
Dec 29th, 2014, 10:40 pm
Jan 6th, 2015, 10:04 pm
Having just navigated through Hulkload's deviousness, here is what I found.

When you get to the "File Download Link Generated Page" you will find the regulation checkbox: "Download with hulkload accelerator and get recommended offers." Uncheck this checkbox..

Immediately above in small print is "Direct Link". Click this Direct Link text. The green button immediately above this text may also be safe, but nowhere else
Jan 6th, 2015, 10:04 pm
Jan 21st, 2015, 9:38 pm
Thank you very much, so helpful.
Jan 21st, 2015, 9:38 pm
Feb 16th, 2015, 10:13 am
Why are people hosting files at sites you have to jump through hoops to download from in the first place?

:thumbup: ZIPPYSHARE :clap:
Feb 16th, 2015, 10:13 am
Feb 16th, 2015, 7:54 pm
Thanks for the info here, managed to use tusfiles.com.
Still puzzling over hulkload.com - there seem to be no way to get around the .exe.
At least I haven't found it yet.

Little bit of advice - do not rely on the filetype icon. Always check the filetype (change your explorer settings if necessary to ALWAYS show file extensions).
It is possible to have a file with the usual .rar icon which actually is an .exe file and installs trojans/virus.
Be very careful with files from OCHs.
Feb 16th, 2015, 7:54 pm
Mar 29th, 2015, 4:49 am
leetwanker wrote:Why are people hosting files at sites you have to jump through hoops to download from in the first place?

:thumbup: ZIPPYSHARE :clap:

Apparently some uploaders make money from those sites. I paid for Premium so I could avoid all the redirects, but some uploaders won't use the blue arrow. So I'm screwed. :p

There are still some books that I get because I'm lost in the endless redirect loop. I think Uploadrocket hates me. :(
Mar 29th, 2015, 4:49 am
Apr 18th, 2015, 3:06 pm
Thank you for this information, I do wish I had read it before I tried to download a book. Thankfully all is fixed now.
Apr 18th, 2015, 3:06 pm
Apr 24th, 2015, 9:45 pm
PopoTheClown wrote:any idea on how to get around these? pretty much gave up on a lot of books because all i get is an exe.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com

http://uploadmirrors.com

For Mirrorcreator first you must wait for the mirror buttons to appear further down the page where it says "Fetching download links":

Then click on one of the download link buttons:

If the mirror is still up it will go to this page:

Do not click on the "Download now" button as this is malware! The true link is shown below this button. You can either click the link "Your preferred download link is ready..." or copy the link in the box below it.

Hope this helps! ^_^
Apr 24th, 2015, 9:45 pm