From Tom Sawyer to Harry Potter to Katniss Everdeen, the novels that made us fans of books and of the words within.
Dec 12th, 2013, 1:14 am
6 Books by Nina Bawden
Requirements: .ePUB reader, 7 MB.
Overview: Nina Bawden is one of the most admired and engaging writers of fiction for children and has written more than fifty books. Born in 1925, she was educated at Oxford and completed her first novel the year after gaining her degree. She is the author of such classics as Carrie's War and The Peppermint Pig, and has won the Guardian Fiction Award and the Phoenix Award as well as being commended for the Carnegie Medal. Described by the Daily Telegraph as 'without question one of the very best writers for children', she divides her time between London and Nauplion in Greece.
Genre: Juvenile

The Secret Passage (1963)
Lonely and forlorn after their mother's death and their sudden arrival at Aunt Mabel's seaside boarding-house, John, Mary and Ben Mallory are unimpressed with their new life in England. But there are wonderful surprises in store for them when they discover a secret way into the grand and empty house next door. Soon all sorts of unexpected events will unfold as the siblings encounter a whole host of eccentric characters and happenings. Completed in 1963, The Secret Passage is Nina Bawden's first children's novel and was written especially for her own three children after they had discovered a secret passage in the cellar of their house. It beautifully reflects her own inquisitive nature - as she herself has said: 'I was a keyhole child, fearsomely curious' - wedded to her subtly innovative ability to empathise with the child's view.

The Witch's Daughter (1966)
On the Scottish island of Skua, friendship develops between the lonely and mysterious Perdita and a blind girl, Janey. Both possess a kind of second sight - Janey's is the ability to hear, feel and remember more than others, and Perdita's is the ominous legacy of her being a witch's daughter. When Janey's brother, Tom, starts investigating a cluster of mysterious events and suspicious characters, all three become entwined in an adventure of hidden jewels, desperate criminals and dangerous detection. Written in 1963, The Witch's Daughter showcases Nina Bawden's innate regard for the integrity of her young characters. As she has said: 'I like writing for children. It seems to me that most people underestimate their understanding and the strength of their feelings and in my books for them I try to put this right.' Hugely admired on publication by both reviewers and readers, it was described as 'thrilling' by the Times Literary Supplement.

Carrie's War (1973)
Carrie's War by Nina Bawden is an unforgettable Second World War story. 'I did a dreadful thing...or I feel that I did, and nothing can change it...' It is the Second World War and Carrie and Nick are evacuated from London to a small town in Wales, where they are placed with strict Mr Evans and his timid mouse of a sister. Their friend Albert is luckier, living in Druid's Bottom with Hepzibah Green who tells wonderful stories, and the strange Mister Johnny, who speaks a language all of his own. Carrie and Nick are happy to visit Albert there, until one day when Carrie does a terrible thing - the worst thing she ever did in her life... Based on her own childhood, Nina Bawden's enchanting story Carrie's War has delighted readers for almost 40 years.

The Peppermint Pig (1975)
Johnnie was only the runt of the litter, a little peppermint pig. He'd cost Mother a shilling, but somehow his great naughtiness and cleverness kept Poll and Theo cheerful, even though it was one of the most difficult years of their lives.

The Finding (1985)
Since nobody knows Alex's birthday (he was found abandoned, at the age of 5 months next to Cleopatra's Needle on the Embankment), he celebrates his finding day every year. On his eleventh finding day, Alex's gran takes him to visit old Mrs Angel, her neighbour, who gives him a photo of a girl in an old photograph frame. The girl in the photo, Mrs Angel's daughter who disappeared years ago, looks a bit like Alex. When Mrs Angel dies a few days later, it is discovered that she has left a fortune to Alex. Mrs Angel's nephew, her only relative and an extremely nasty man, is furious. Soon the local papers get hold of the story and Alex's family is pestered by reporters. Eventually Alex can't bear to see his mother so upset and, feeling it's all his fault, he runs away. After an adventures which becomes frightening, Alex is reunited and everything is sorted out.

Granny the Pag (1995)
Granny the Pag rides a Harley-Davidson. She lives with nine cats and four dogs, and because she's a retired psychiatrist she has some strange visitors. But Cat loves living with her anyway. Then Cat's TV star parents decide that she would be better off with them--and for the first time Cat is really fighting for her life. This is Bawden at her best. --Publishers Weekly, starred review A funny and very touching novel.A thoughtful, tender look at family values. Everyone, everywhere, should be lucky enough to have a Pag in their lives.

Download Instructions:
(Closed Filehost) https://unlimitzone.com/vu5mln9aznfk/Nbawd6.rar.html

Mirror:
http://mir.cr/E0INV5QW
Dec 12th, 2013, 1:14 am

please DO NOT PM ME WITH REPOSTS as I am inactive as an ebook releaser as of 2014. Thank you