Speculative fiction, alternative worlds, futuristic, supernatural, horror
Mar 3rd, 2014, 8:51 pm
The Medium by Noëlle Sickels (May 2007)
Requirements: ePUB Reader | 545 Kb
Overview: In 1940’s New Jersey, Helen Schneider struggles not only with the uncertainties of life and love during war time, but also with the unique challenge of how to heed the insistent voices of the dead.

Helen’s childhood is marked with vivid premonitions, and as a young woman, her gift expands to include automatic writing and the rare ability to make spirits materialize. Her German grandmother, a sometimes fraudulent medium, urges her to learn the techniques that keep clients happy. The U. S. Army wants to employ Helen as a psychic spy, and they’re willing to use threats to recruit her. Her boyfriend Billy disapproves of her freakish talent, and Helen fears the day may come when he asks her to choose between it and him. Helen, assailed by these battling demands, resolves to determine why the dead come to her and what to do about it.

This historical tale of suspense and romance is rich with details that animate both the home front during World War II and the mysterious, eerily appealing realm of ghosts and spirit guides.
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy, Historical (Dare I claim, "Historical Fantasy"...?)

"Set before and during WWII, this compelling paranormal love story will remind many [readers] of Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series, with its deft historical detail and timeless characters. Helen Schneider, a 13-year-old school girl, discovers she has remarkable powers as a medium after she has a vision of a New Jersey neighbor caught in a fire. As Helen matures, her ability to communicate with the dead and see the future sets her at odds with her fiancé, Billy Mackey, and eventually arouses the interest of the U.S. military. Helen must decide whether to use her psychic gift to do what she thinks is right or to bow to the opposition of skeptics like Billy. Paranormal fans seeking a realistic change from the vampires and werewolves that dominate this popular sub-genre will be well rewarded." ~Publishers Weekly

Download Instructions:
Hulkload

Mirror:
Uploadrar
Mar 3rd, 2014, 8:51 pm

I am on medical leave, away from home and my files. Please hold your re-upload requests for my return, ~15 May 2024.

Thank you.