eBooks that do not fit in any of the other categories
Apr 27th, 2024, 7:23 pm
Fen, Bog and Swamp: A Short History of Peatland Destruction and Its Role in the Climate Crisis by Annie Proulx
Requirements: ePUB Reader | 5.1 MB | Version: Retail
Overview: *Named a Best Book of the Year by The New Yorker and Literary Hub!* A Finalist for the 2022 NBCC Awards in Nonfiction, the 2023 Phillip D. Reed Environmental Writing Award, and the NEIBA 2023 New England Book Award*
From Pulitzer Prize winner Annie Proulx, this riveting deep dive into the history of our wetlands and what their systematic destruction means for the planet "is both an enchanting work of nature writing and a rousing call to action" (Esquire).

"I learned something new—and found something amazing—on every page." —Anthony Doerr, author of All the Light We Cannot See and Cloud Cuckoo Land
A lifelong acolyte of the natural world, Annie Proulx brings her witness and research to the subject of wetlands and the vitally important role they play in preserving the environment—by storing the carbon emissions that accelerate climate change. Fens, bogs, swamps, and marine estuaries are crucial to the earth's survival, and in four illuminating parts, Proulx documents their systemic destruction in pursuit of profit.

In a vivid and revelatory journey through history, Proulx describes the fens of 16th-century England, Canada's Hudson Bay lowlands, Russia's Great Vasyugan Mire, and America's Okeefenokee National Wildlife Refuge. She introduces the early explorers who launched the destruction of the Amazon rainforest, and writes of the diseases spawned in the wetlands—the Ague, malaria, Marsh Fever.
A sobering look at the degradation of wetlands over centuries and the serious ecological consequences, this is "an unforgettable and unflinching tour of past and present, fixed on a subject that could not be more important" (Bill McKibben).
"A stark but beautifully written Silent Spring–style warning from one of our greatest novelists." —The Christian Science Monitor

These pages started out as a personal essay to help me understand the wetlands that are so intimately tied to the climate crisis. The literature is massive and I had to narrow down the focus to those special wetlands that form the peat that holds in the greenhouse gases CO2 and methane—the fens, bogs and swamps and how humans have interacted with them over the centuries. The essay grew into this small book. I am not a scientist and much of the material I found was presented in specialized vocabularies which I have tried to avoid when possible. I suspect this gulf of esoteric language is an important part of the disconnection between science and ordinary readers.
There are people who are fond of tracing ideas and their connections in unlikely places and old books; I am one of them. I am easily enchanted when an odd idea or phrase looms on a page, often showing an invisible link. It is a little like a foggy summer morning when we can see beaded spiderwebs strung between stalks and stems, between tree and ground, twig and leaf. As the sun heats the earth the droplets evaporate, and the illusion that the entire world is held together by fine spider threads evaporates with it

Download Instructions:
https://uploadrar.com/x4oxnhavrwag
https://dailyuploads.net/fkc55ixb5gqh

Trouble downloading? Read This.
Apr 27th, 2024, 7:23 pm