Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Nov 14th, 2014, 10:50 pm
ok so I have had both a nook and a kindle and its about that time to upgrade so im wondering should I go for the kindle fire or the nook hd. opinions?
Nov 14th, 2014, 10:50 pm
Nov 17th, 2014, 1:40 am
If all you use it for is an ebook reader, why upgrade at all? Unless you want to consolidate all your devices into a single one, and you want more power for other things like streaming/casting/gaming, in which case, I'd just go for a full-on tablet.

Out of the two you mentioned, I prefer the Nook HD, but that isn't based on hardware, just personal preference. If I needed to upgrade my Nook, I'd just go full tablet (which I do have, but it's more for the wifey).
Nov 17th, 2014, 1:40 am
Nov 20th, 2014, 8:35 am
I'm good with my Kindle fire, won't be upgrading anytime soon. It's
almost a tablet and cheap. I didn't do the HDX kindle.

reboot
Nov 20th, 2014, 8:35 am
Nov 28th, 2014, 9:36 am
I like my tablet to be a tablet and my e-book reader to be just that. So a standard kindle is good for me.
Nov 28th, 2014, 9:36 am
Feb 10th, 2015, 7:56 am
What about Kindle Paperwhite? Dedicated ebook reader with great battery life. I think the Kindle Voyager price point is too high.
Feb 10th, 2015, 7:56 am
Mar 15th, 2015, 8:39 am
i feel that if you love reading and spend, even, minimum 45 minutes reading, i would go in for a dedicated e-ink reader.

as an e-ink reader uses reflected light, like a book, it is less strainful to the eye then reading from a lcd screen.

i, personally, use the kindle paperwhite with backlight, which is only used if reading in a dark area.

imho.
Mar 15th, 2015, 8:39 am
Mar 15th, 2015, 8:04 pm
my first gen nook works just fine for me. no reason to upgrade
Mar 15th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Mar 21st, 2015, 5:36 pm
Fully agree with post #6 above.

I have gone through the following units:

1. Nook Color (original with 7 lcd inch screen) tablet (retired)
2. Kindle DXG (9.7 inch screen) e-ink reader (retired)
3. Nook HD+ (8.9 inch lcd screen ) tablet (limited use)
4. LG gPad 8.3/Verizon (8.3 inch lcd screen) tablet (current)
5. Powerbook 840 Inkpad (8 inch screen) e-ink reader (current)

I would fall under the "he reads a ton of books" category. My goal was to find a technology and screen size that would be the easiest to use, would produce minimum eye strain, and have the least amount of problems with screen reflection.

The three tablets and their lcd screens all functioned well with the Nook and Kindle apps (I converted both Nooks to full Android units). The biggest problem with them was reflection even with the best anti-glare screen protectors I could find. In brightly lit situations it was always awkward to try and find a comfortable angle that minimized reflections while viewing the screen. Of the three (I use the gPad for everyday use other than ebook reading) the "Goldilocks" screen size was the Nook HD+ at 8.9 inches. I still keep that up and running and its primary use now is for graphic novels as the additional .6 inch screen size over the gPad makes reading the word balloon content easier.

My experience with the Kindle DXG really convinced me of the practicality of the e-ink technology for the best overall reading experience. However, its larger size, no touchscreen technology, and no internal lighting were definite drawbacks but reading from it was a real treat.

I began searching in vain for a reliable e-ink device with a screen in the 8-8.9 inch range and recently acquired the Pocketbook 840 Inkpad and am well pleased with the purchase.

It gives me a comfortable screen size (unlike the smaller Kindles and Nooks), e-ink technology, very lengthy battery life, displays both ePub and Mobi equally well, and fits in my original swivel cover for my Nook HD+!

I use it strictly for reading ebooks and sideload all of them from Calibre so I don't use its browser or even its wifi connection.

I did take a serious look at the newer Kindle Voyager but did not want to go back to a 7 inch screen and it is a bit pricey.

Hope all of the above helps.
Mar 21st, 2015, 5:36 pm
Mar 22nd, 2015, 3:14 am
Powerbook 840 Inkpad (8 inch screen) e-ink reader (current)

good write up but can you give an estimation of battery life.
Purely as an e reader , no wifi.
Mar 22nd, 2015, 3:14 am
Mar 22nd, 2015, 12:27 pm
Got it through eBay via Latvia of all places (thoroughly reputable seller).
New unit with v 5.4 software.
Was almost fully charged when I got it , but "topped it off" anyway.
Have had it for close to a month with multi hours of use for e reading only and have not had to recharge it.
I am still at 60% as of 3/21. Gets some recharge whenever I hook it up via usb to my desktop and Calibre.
Not using wifi at all, nor its browser function.
I did revert it to v 4.4 software and definitely prefer that to the newer v 5.4.
New software update due out in May.
Very satisfied with it and works equally well with both ePub and Mobi...not using it for pdf or cbr.
Recognized by Calibre and have placed all of my books that I chose for it on the sd card.
Let me know if you have any other questions and I will PM your reply.
Mar 22nd, 2015, 12:27 pm